Tutorials via Lynda.com
(accessible via iCollege/GSU PAWS portal)
The Open Source Movement
- Data file: A file containing related records.
- Database management system (DBMS): A system that manages the files in a database.
- Database: A collection of related data files.
- Distributed databases: Allow the physical data to reside at separate and independent locations that are electronically networked together.
- Field: A group of bytes used to represent a string of characters.
- Middleware: Software that allows separate, existing programs to communicate and work together seamlessly.
- Primary key: An attribute or combination of attributes that uniquely identifies a tuple.
- Query languages: Enable the user or another application program to query (ask questions of) the database, in order to retrieve information.
- Record: A collection of related fields.
- Relational database model: A model of a database in which a data file is conceptually represented as a two-dimensional table.
- Tuple: A row of a table in a relational database model.